Our History

Immaculate Conception Church was just a small mission when it opened in 1948, the redirected ambition of a group of Catholics in Sherwood and Sylvan Hills whose initial dream was to build a school.

From those humble beginnings sprang a church that would become one of the largest and most active parishes in the Diocese of Little Rock.

And the school? It opened in 1956 with 136 students. None would be likely to recognize the place now.

After a $1 million expansion in 1988, Immaculate Conception School is a bright, spacious, and well-designed campus. Enrollment today is 427 in kindergarten through eighth grade, and the all-lay teaching staff numbers.

The atmosphere of the school is ever-evolving and dynamic, charged with academic excellence. Its balanced curriculum includes religion, language arts, computer technology, general science, mathematics, social studies, visual arts, music and physical education. Immaculate Conception School's emphasis on the foundations of learning is well known: underscoring that firm grounding is training in a state-of-the-art computer lab that begins as early as age five and extends through junior high.

Family involvement figures prominently in the success of the school. Parents automatically are members of the Parent/Teacher Organization and volunteer in diverse capacities. They are encouraged to attend private conferences with their children's teachers, so that individual progress may be monitored and explained.